PURPOSE: The early childhood mental health consultant position is responsible for providing direct services of mental health consultation onsite to teaching staff as well as caregivers and their children within preschool learning settings. The position requires travel to assigned settings.The consultant provides consultation and training to empower and build the capacity of staff and families to cultivate positive and inclusive environments, support the social-emotional health and development of all children in the classroom or home, and work effectively, responsively and collaboratively with children and families with mental health concerns, challenging behaviors and individual developmental differences. The consultant’s aim is to enhance all relationships involved in the care setting, create nurturing and emotionally responsive environments, strengthen staff effectiveness in interactions with young children and families, and build strong school/home alliances.
This is an on call position. This position will work a variety of hours/days at various centers in Delaware County.
PAY: Accepting Bids
- NYS Licensed or Certified Mental Health Professional in Psychology, Counseling, Social Work, or a Mental Health related field (required).
- Assist program staff to implement a program wide culture of wellness of children, families and staff
- Provide supports for effective classroom management and teacher practices through strategies that include classroom observations and consultations to address teacher and individual child needs.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) fluency skills a plus, but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct an assessment, including identifying precipitating events, gathering histories of mental and physical health, alcohol and other drug use, past mental health services and criminal justice contacts, assessing family, social and working relationships and conducting a mental status assessment; write and supervise the implementation of an Individual Prescription Plan; and provide individual, family and/or group consultation within the scope of their training.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills and ability to provide culturally-competent consultation services and maintain a cooperative working relationship with staff and community partnerships
- Demonstrated knowledge of attachment theory, developmental milestones, and appropriate range of development by age.
- Consult with staff regarding behavioral and emotional interventions and support services
- Demonstrated compliance with confidentiality and knowledge of community resources and treatment agencies enabling appropriate referrals for specific client needs.
- Must complete criminal background and NYS child abuse registry check